“Just dance and create”, Marc-Aurèle-Fortin primary school (Rivière-des-Prairies) - 2022/2023
- Project name: Just dance and create
- Participating school: Marc-Aurèle-Fortin Primary School, Rivière-des-Prairies
- Participating group: 24 students (3 classes) ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
- Project dates: October 2022 to January 2023 (4 months)
- Speakers: Maria Riccardi, clinical supervisor of OBM projects, art therapist, M.A, doctoral student in psychology, ATPQ and Angélique Dumet-Kerherno, dance therapist, M.A.
- Partner: the National Dance Therapy Center of the Grands Ballets Canadiens de Montréal
Using choreography associated with emotions, this project encouraged communication among young people on the autism spectrum by linking sensations to actions. In addition, by creating decorations and sweaters, these students were able to practice motor movements linked to a sequence of visual cues. This approach promoted better coordination between sensations, emotions and actions, thus providing an enriching experience for their development.